Saturday, October 28, 2006

Diabetes

Millions of people have Type 2, or non-insulin-dependent, diabetes, and most of them are overweight. "If you have adult-onset Type 2 diabetes," says Rena Wing, a researcher at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine," your blood sugar comes down immediately when you start losing weight." When Jim Copeland, a 54-year-old hairdresser, was told he had diabetes, his doctor prescribed medication and advised him to take off some of his 236 pounds. Copeland switched to a low-fat, low-calorie diet and began walking six miles a day. "The first ten pounds I lost made a tremendous difference," he says. "My doctor started reducing my medication at that point, and by the time I'd lost 15 pounds I was off it entirely." copeland continues to lose weight -- he's down to 203 pounds -- and has kept his blood sugar under control for 2 1/2 years. People with Type 2 diabetes are often so overweight that they feel discouraged, notes Marion Franz, registered Dietitian with the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis. "They think they have to lose so much that they just don't try at all. In fact, research has shown that a significant improvement in blood-glucose levels can occur with a weight loss of as little as ten pounds."

3 comments:

Jarred said...

This can't really work, I believe like this.
check here | Duromine Online | here

Josiah said...

It cannot truly have success, I believe so.
2 | liked it | 1

Anonymous said...

For my part everybody ought to glance at this.
my | -> | this - | 5 | -> 6 | here